Thursday, August 15, 2013

Kampar Curry Chicken Bread



Voila! This is  the most gigantic bread I've ever made! ^0^ Doesn't it looks familiar to you? I did not know until now that Malaysia Kampar town has this dish which is similar to our local one known as Golden Pillow 金枕头 :D I've actually tasted this dish once like 10 years ago! Nothing special to the taste, except it looks more attractive in the presentation by wrapping the cooked curry chicken inside the sweet bread.


Hahaha... I've tried to shape it in a rectangle shape like a pillow, but alas it turned out rather round and flat >.<  Nevertheless the bread looks pretty nice to me, golden hue and the texture is soft too! I think this is great to serve at the dining table! Imagine everyone gather round the table and start tearing the bread apart and dipping into the creamy and flavourful curry! ^.^


Recipe ref : Frozen Wings
For Bread 
  • 450gm bread flour
  • 25gm milk powder
  • 15gm instant yeast
  • 60gm sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 egg
  • 130ml cold milk
  • 130ml cold water
  • 40gm butter
  • extra milk for glazing

Method
  1. Combine milk and water together. 
  2. Mix flour, milk powder, yeast, sugar & salt in a large mixing bowl. 
  3. Add in egg and water (I did not add all, reserve 2-3 tbsp) and mix together in a rough dough. Knead for 5 mins.
  4. Add in butter and knead for another 10mins until dough is smooth and elastic. Cover and proof for 1 hour or double in bulk.
  5. After 1 hour proofing, punch down dough and knead lightly. Rest for another 10mins.
  6. Roll out dough in a large rectangle shape or round shape, put the wrapped chicken (refer to recipe below) at the center and gather the edges together. Pinch and seal tightly. Transfer onto a lined baking tray and proof for another 45mins.
  7. Glaze the surface with milk and bake in preheated oven at 180 deg cel for 35 mins or until golden brown. If the surface browned to fast, lightly shield the bread with a foil and bake till done.


Above picture is the cooked curry chicken before enclose into the bread dough. Looks like quite amount of gravy inside, but it actually reduce slightly after baking together with the bread. I chosen to cook the curry chicken using instant curry paste rather than taking the time of making a basic rempah.  So this is rather easy and fast to prepare and taste as good too! :D


Curry Chicken Recipe
  • 500gm chicken pieces
  • 90gm red curry paste (I used Ayam brand)
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 8 shallots
  • 150ml water
  • 200ml coconut milk

Method
  1. Pound garlic and shallots till fine.
  2. Add 1 tbsp oil in pan and saute until fragrant.
  3. Add in chicken pieces and stir fry for 2-3 mins until lightly browned.
  4. Add in red curry paste and mix evenly.
  5. Add in water and coconut milk. Cover and simmer for 10mins. Cool down.
  6. Double lined a deep casserole with foil. Ladle in curry chicken and seal tightly.







I am submitting this to Malaysian Food Fest Perak Month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for 2 or more

10 comments:

kitchen flavours said...

Looks delicious! I have not made this in ages! Am so craving for it right now!

Unknown said...

Looks yummy Peng. Good Job!

ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com said...

I remember I bought this before from a restaurant in KL and it turned out we preferred the bread. The chicken curry is only so so. Yours looks very yummy :)

WendyinKK said...

I am surprised u ate this before, you came to Kampar or ate it in Ipoh?

Peng said...

Oops....din mentioned I ate in Singapore! The famous one and only stall 933 金枕头面包咖喱鸡....hahaha dun ask me why the stall is named this way ;p

Rain said...

I realise uou have tried a few curry paste, How different are they in taste? You prefer which one then? Have you try 'A1'?

Peng said...

Rain...I like Prima one. I've not yet try A1 but I understand it taste good!

Rain said...

I just bought a pack of Prima Curry will try it out. I always use A1 curry paste. Will try out then see which one taste better. Thanks...

Anonymous said...

any reason you use aluminium foil instead of oil paper(if I'm not mistaken) like the Golden Pillow?

Peng said...

No particular reason as I do not have oil paper so use aluminum foil instead.

Related Posts with Thumbnails